Friday, June 3, 2011

Can you help me with a Windows Vista problem?

Since I got my new laptop with windows vista all my recordings and TV shows files were changed into an aspect ratio of 16:9 and I can檛 turn them back, even in movie maker the option of aspect ratio change doesn檛 work. I guess windows adapted the TV shows to fit my screen but now even the original file is changed. Or was the Windows Player that altered the original files? Either way vista doesn檛 let me change a thing- How can I make the original file to be 4:3 again? Can you please help me?Can you help me with a Windows Vista problem?You post is a bit confusing - maybe you could lcear some things up.



First - I can gaurantee you that your old recordings where not %26quot;converted%26quot; to 16:9 without you knowing. depending on how many you had and how big, it would have taken hours if not days to convert it all and you would have noticed it going on.



Second - if you are talking about new shows that you are recording, then that is a different story. there you are probably right about Windows adjusting accordingly. Also, since you have a new laptop, I will assume you have a digital tuner (ATSC). If you are recording off the digital stations, then you will record in the format that they broadcast in. For anything in HD, then it will almost always be in 16:9.



Third - are you sure that the 4:3 files are really 16:9 now - or just streched out on your screen? Change you disply setting to a %26quot;square%26quot; resolution (1280X1024 will do) and make sure that it is set to %26quot;Maintain aspect ratio%26quot;. You will know you did it right when you see black bars on the left/right of your desktop. Then check your old shows and see if they show up right.



Finally, if %26quot;somehow%26quot; the magic pixies actually did %26quot;convert%26quot; your files without you knowing it, then you need to convert back. This means using a program like Virtualdub and cropping out the recording.



If you acutally do convert even one show with any program, you will see how long rendering takes and will then believe me when I say nothing %26quot;converted%26quot; by itself without you knowing about it.



Please don't be %26quot;offended%26quot; by the %26quot; %26quot;'s in this post. Just there for emphasis, since we can't use bold or italics.





***EDIT***

(so others know what we are talking about!)



Subject: Hi!



Message: Thanks for trying to help me :) i'll try to explain a bit better my problem. The thing is all my shows that were in the usual 4:3 tv format, the files now wherever I play them (windows player, quicktime, etc) appears as a 16:9 ratio, and the scary bit is even the icon of those shows when in the folders are shown in the same ratio. in my windows xp the miniature for that show was a square and now is as arectangular shape. Even in movie maker I cannot change it to fill all the 4:3 screen in movie maker. I didnt do anything to the files except put them inside the computer. So what do you think it happend? What i really want is for the shows go back to their previous aspect ratio even if they dont stretch to fit the computer screen.

Thanks so much for helping :)





**************************************?br>


Based on this, it sounds like you are talking about the aspect ratio you are viewing, not of the file itself. (I could be wrong on this). Try adjusting your display settings.



now, to be absoluty sure about what ratio the files themselves are in, try G-Spot. It is a free codec information tool that will give you all the details of your files.



http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/inde



(click on the downloads link under the table)



This will tell you what format the files are in, regardless of what you are viewing them on. If it turns out they are still 4:3 but you see them 16:9, then it's your display settings.Can you help me with a Windows Vista problem?Ok, first off you'll need to cry a bit,



when you've done that, re-install your previous operating system (windows XP SP2 is a good bet)



take your vista disc, hit with a hammer until reduced to powder, feel better, meanwhile all your videos have been restored thanks to you returning to a workable system.



seriously though, vista is software poison, you were better off with your previous system (yes even if it was windows 95)

No comments:

Post a Comment